After graduating with her BSc (Hons) in Psychology with Sociology and an award in counselling in 2009, Alicia travelled Australia for a year before coming back to Wales in 2010 where she started working as an ABA Therapist with a child with ASD. She then went on to work 6 years in a Residential Child Care setting, where she worked with children and young people (CYP) aged 10-18, whom had complex needs ranging from mental health, self-harm, alcohol misuse, learning difficulties and Autism.
There, she worked to increase well-being, emotional resilience, emotional intelligence and facilitate effective understanding, thinking, learning and expression so that the CYP could lead successful, independent lives. Alicia has carried out living skills assessments and completed an extensive range of scaled tasks designed to ensure learning of skills needed for independence.
Alicia has used strength based approaches coupled with intensive therapeutic interventions to support the CYP in her care. This has included solution focused brief therapy, cognitive behavioural therapy, dialectical behaviour therapy and mindfulness approaches in order to help with mental health and associated difficulties such as ADHD, ASD, dealing with loss and self-harm.
She has first-hand experience of dealing with inappropriate behaviours and has practiced cohesive and established behaviour management strategies.
Alicia thoroughly enjoys teaching new skills. Alicia is excited to return to ABA and work with Skybound Therapies as a behaviour technician. She hopes to further her education and in time, complete her MSc in ABA so that she can continue to help those with additional learning needs.
QUALIFICATIONS & TRAINING
- Skybound courses: Health, safety and Welfare, Autism Awareness, Manual handing, Fire Safety, Safeguarding adults, safeguarding children
- Level 3 Assessing Competence in the Work Environment
- Level 3 Diploma in Health & Social Care for Children and Young People
- Bachelor of Science with Honours in Psychology with Sociology
- Introduction to counselling concepts –Intermediate Level National Award
- Emergency first Aid at work
- Barnardo’s SERAF service child sexual exploitation awareness raising session
- Mental Health Conditions
- Child Protection
- Living skills
- Child development and attachment theory
- Food Hygiene
- Developmental Play
- Senior and Supervision training
- Effective Communication
- Managing aggression
- Bereavement and Loss: supporting children and young people
- Understanding Autism