DES COOKE MSc, BSc, PGDip, PGCPSE, Dip IT.
Founder of DESCAL8TM 2013 (de-escalate.com)
For over twenty years Des has been leading workshops and training courses in a variety of settings across the care industry and beyond, including but not limited to:
- Parent & Family workshops
- Conflict management (and challenging behavior) workshops
- Legal knowledge workshops
- Communication skills
- Staff support skills
- Physical avoidance and intervention skills
- Restrictive Practice skills
- Risk Assessment workshops
- Mental Health & Dual Diagnosis workshops
- Education & Classroom management workshops
- Workshops designing bespoke plans with specific staff groups around individuals
Des has personally taught nearly 20,000 members of staff face to face in small groups.
From 1994 – 2013 Des worked as Lead Trainer and Senior Behaviour Management Consultant facilitating adult training across UK, Ireland and abroad across all settings in the care industry. This included:
- Working with translators both foreign and sign language.
- Assessment of service users on a one to one basis and creation of reactive strategies to manage behaviours staff found particularly difficult to cope with.
- Creation of policies for individual services around behaviour management and use of physical interventions.
Since 2012 Des has been an approved Shared Lives / Adult Placement Carer for West Wales Adult Placement Services. Des is the Pembrokeshire rep on the WesHis family welcome service users into their home with varying backgrounds, situations and diagnoses, including individuals on the autistic spectrum and those with mental health conditions, Down’s Syndrome and acquired brain injury, as examples. His family find that this role, although sometimes challenging, very rewarding, satisfying and often fun.
Along with a Psychology MSc. Des also has qualifications in Hypnotherapy, Neuro Linguistic Programming and a number of postgraduate qualifications including: child development; research methods; cognitive psychology; cognition – damaged brains and neural networks; digital communications.
QUALIFICATIONS & TRAINING
- Sensory Process Disorder Awareness Diploma
- Dementia: Understanding and Managing Challenging Behaviour
- Adults at risk (Safeguarding – Protection of Vulnerable Adults (POVA))
- Cognitive Behavioural Therapy
- I have a current First Aid Certificate and up to date Epipen training
- Learning Disability Equality awareness training
- Mental Capacity Act training
- Epilepsy Awareness Training
- Food Safety and Hygiene Course
- Skills for Care (original member of physical interventions focus group)
- SCIF (Social Care Induction Framework – working group in West Wales)
- Neuro Linguistic Programming – Master Practitioner
- The Open University
- Master of Science in Psychology (F15)
- Postgraduate Diploma in Social Sciences (D41)
- Postgraduate Certificate in Professional Studies in Education (C27)
- Bachelor of Science (Honours) Open (BD)
- Diploma in Information Technology (D38)
- Exploring cognition: damaged brains and neural networks (DS871)
- Cognitive psychology (D309)
- Child development in families, schools and society (ED840)
- Introduction to research: basic skills and survey methods (DT840)
- The challenge of the social sciences (D820)
- Digital communications (T305)
- Information technology and society (THD204)